- Does optical character recognition and caption generation improve emotion detection in microblog posts?
NLDB. Liège, Belgium. July 2017. slides
- An Empirical, Quantitative Analysis of Differences between Sarcasm and Irony.
Institute of Linguistics, University of Malta. March 2017. (invited talk)
- From coarse-grained to (different kinds of) fine-grained sentiment analysis.
Data and Web Science Group. University of Mannheim. July 2016. (invited talk)
- Differences between Sarcasm and Irony. An Empirical, Quantitative Analysis.
Semantic Sentiment Analysis Workshop at ESWC. Crete. Greece. May 2016.
- Fine-grained and Cross-Lingual Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining.
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz, Berlin. Germany. September 2015. (invited talk)
- Towards opinion mining from reviews for the prediction of product rankings.
6th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment and Social Media Analysis (WASSA). Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), Lisbon. Portugal. September 2015.
- Instance selection improves cross-lingual model training for fine-grained sentiment analysis.
Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL). Beijing, China. July 2015. poster booster slides video
- Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining in Product Reviews: Fine-grained Analysis and Cross-Linguality.
Conference "From Big Data to Smart Knowledge - Text and Data Mining in Science and Economy". Cologne. February 2015. (invited talk)
- Relational Learning for Biomedical Natural Language Processing: Challenges and Chances.
Job talk. Institute for Natural Language Processing. University of Stuttgart. February 2015.
- Introduction to the IGGSA GESTALT Shared Task 2: StAR: Subjective Phrase and Aspect Extraction from Product Reviews.
Workshop on IGGSA Shared Task on German Sentiment Analysis. KONVENS, Hildelsheim, October 2014.
- Impact analysis of features in a classification approach to Irony Detection in Product Reviews.
5th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment and Social Media Analysis (WASSA). The 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Baltimore. USA. June 2014.
- Automatische Analyse präklinischer Forschungsergebnisse zur Auswahl Erfolg versprechender klinischer Studien und individualisierter Therapien. i:DSem Partnering Day des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung. Berlin, Germany, Mai 2014. Slides Slides
- Joint and* Pipeline Probabilistic Models for Fine-Grained Sentiment Analysis: Extracting Aspects, Subjective Phrases and their Relations. SENTIRE Workshop at International Conference on Data Mining. Dallas, Texas, USA. December 2013 Slides
- Sentiment Analysis Overview, Joint Models.
IESL Group Seminar. UMass Amherst. Massachusetts, USA, October 2013
- Bi-directional Inter-dependencies of Subjective Expressions and Targets and their Value for a Joint Model.
ACL, Sofia, Bulgaria, August 2013
- Introduction to Sentiment Analysis and Opinion Mining.
Seminar: Knowledge Management in Bioinformatics, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, February 19, 2013
- Online Communities Support Policy-Making: The Need for Data Analysis.
e-Participation conference. Kristiansand, Norway, September 2012
- Weakly Labeled Corpora as Silver Standard for Protein-Protein and Drug-Drug Interaction.
Workshop on Building and Evaluating Resources for Biomedical Text Mining (BioTxtM), Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC). Istanbul, Turkey, May 2012 Slides
- From Information Extraction to Semantic Search in the Biomedical Domain. Seminar at TU Darmstadt, Germany, January 2012. (invited talk) Slides
- Challenges in Text Mining and Information Extraction for CNR. First International CNR Expert Meeting (invited talk)
- Inter-Event Dependencies Support Event Extraction. Mining Complex Entities from Network and Biomedical Data, European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML PKDD), Athens, Greece, September 2011. Slides
2006 – 2010
- Conditional Random Fields: Feature Modelling and Applications in Named Entity Recognition.
Seminar: Knowledge Management in Bioinformatics, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 8 December 2009 (invited talk)
- Automatische Komposition von Musik mit Methoden der Computational Intelligence. Seminar "Creative Algorithms", Dortmund, Germany, 20 October 2009 (invited talk)
- Feature Subset Selection in Conditional Random Fields for Named Entity Recognition. International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, Borovets, Bulgaria, 9 Juli 2009
- rSMILE, an interface to the Bayesian Network package GeNIe/SMILE. The R User Conference 2009, Rennes, France, 9 Juli 2009
- Dictionary or Machine Learning based Chemical Named Entity Recognition? 6th Fraunhofer Symposium on Text Mining, Bonn, Germany, 30 September 2008
- Detection of IUPAC and IUPAC-like Chemical Names. Proceedings Track at International Conference for Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, Toronto, Canada, 21 July 2008
- Chemical Names: Terminological Resources and Corpus Annotation. Building and evaluating resources for biomedical text mining, Marrakesh, Morocco, 26 May 2008
- Identifying Gene Specific Variations on Biomedical Text. 5th Fraunhofer Symposium on Text Mining, Bonn, Germany, 25 September 2007
- Text Mining on Biological Texts. Student Session at Machine Learning Summer School 2007, Max-Planck-Campus Tübingen, Germany, 24 August 2007
- Graphical Models for Text Mining. Lecture on Life Science Knowledge Discovery. Bonn-Aachen Center for Information Technology, Bonn, Germany, 5 July 2007
- Named Entity Recognition with Combinations of Conditional Random Fields. Second BioCreative Challenge Evaluation Workshop, Madrid, Spain, 23 April 2007
- BioCreative II (2006): Gene Mentions Task with Conditional Random Fields. Fraunhofer Institute for Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems, Sankt Augustin, Germany, 8 February 2007
- Evolutionary Composition of Music with Learned Melody Evaluation. Conference on Computational Intelligence, Man-Machine Systems and Cybernetics (CIMMACS), Venice, Italy, 22 November 2006